Thursday, May 26, 2011

6th Grade Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest

IMG_0035

Every year the Rotary Club has a sidewalk chalk art festival in May. They unfortunately canceled this year’s event because of scheduling conflicts. I had one of my student’s parents mention holding something on the school campus. At first, there was no way I was going to attempt a chalk art event because of the upcoming art show to worry about. It was last minute that I changed my mind and decided to throw something together for my 6th grade students because I knew they would have a fantastic time and gain some lasting memories of their 6th grade art class.

I decided to group the 6th grade art class into teams of two and they were to pick a picture of a masterpiece to reproduce with chalk. When I told the kids that I got permission from their teachers to take them out of class all day they were excited! We did a little practice and they were told to dress comfortably because they would be sitting on the ground drawing all day. Here are some of the pictures from this fun day for chalk drawing.

The beginning of the day. The pavilion was a blessing because it was shaded and there was always a breeze.

IMG_0001

First, set up a grid and then sketch the drawing.

IMG_0009

IMG_0002

Building up the color.

IMG_0004

Blending and mixing color.

IMG_0003

IMG_0005

IMG_0006

IMG_0007

IMG_0008

IMG_0013

IMG_0014

IMG_0015

IMG_0016

IMG_0017

IMG_0018

IMG_0019

IMG_0020

IMG_0021

Chalk art is the best! YAY!

IMG_0010

Everyone finished and pulled up the tape around the artwork and taped down the original image.

IMG_0023

Christina and Bethany

Picasso

IMG_0034

3rd Place - Nicole and Chris S.

Van Gogh

IMG_0026

2nd Place – Chase G. and Hunter

Warhol

IMG_0027

Patrick O. and Chase M.

Dow

IMG_0028

Luke, Michael, and Scott

Kandinsky

IMG_0030

Cal and Billy

Munch

IMG_0031

Jamie, Katherine, and Whendy

IMG_0033

 

Here is the square I worked on. I just love working with chalk pastels. I couldn’t resist.

IMG_0012

IMG_0022

IMG_0025

Georgia O’Keeffe

“Asian Poppies”

It was an awesome day and we had some great parents that brought drinks and snacks for everyone to enjoy. I could not have asked for a better day of art.

6 comments:

  1. That is SO awesome! What a wonderful thing to do! Beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! We do a sidewalk art festival here in Cincinnati called "streetscapes" but it's for art teachers and college students. I never thought to try this with elementary students! What great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It was a great experience and the kids loved, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is absolutely amazing Brittney! What a wonderful experience for your year 6 students. I would love to try this. Did you use normal chalk or were they artist chalk pastels?

    Amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to respond late Anna. I used artist chalk pastels. I actually bought the chalk from Micheal's for $5. I have extra chalk so if the kids did run out I had plenty. It is pretty cheap and you can probably find the pastels online to buy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are absolutely beautiful.
    Your students did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails