Last year I had 1st grade create watercolor resist angels just like this. However, I do so many watercolor resist projects I decided to change up the medium.
- 2 - 12x18 white paper
- Black Crayon
- Tempera paint
1. I had the first graders draw with me step-by-step. I gave them a few options on drawing the facial features and I let them choose what their hair will look like.
2. Paint with tempera paints. We talked about tints and mixing white with a color to create a tint. Make sure they do not paint over the crayon line too much. If they do you can retrace.
3. With blue tempera, completely paint the second sheet of paper.
4. Dip and lightly tap with the tip of the brush to create stars.
5. Cut, cut, cut. Oops! I forgot wings. No problem. It’s an easy fix.
6. Glue and DONE!
Here are some finished angels that the students made. I changed my mind and decided to let the kids color their angels with crayon.